Vanilla Cloud Frosting –
You have arrived at frosting nirvana, a sumptuous balance of lightness and body without a hint of grittiness. My goodness, I’m waxing poetic about a cake topping! I just can’t help it. Put simply, this is the best vanilla frosting ever.
The Best Vanilla Frosting Recipe –
You need just four ingredients for this hybrid whipped cream-cream cheese frosting and you can whip it together in less than ten minutes.
First, beat 8 ounces of softened cream cheese with two cups of powdered sugar and two teaspoons of vanilla extract. You could replace the extract with vanilla bean paste or vanilla bean seeds if you want to get fancy.
In a separate bowl with clean beaters, whip two cups of heavy cream until stiff.
Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. To fold, scrape a rubber spatula down the edge of the bowl, bring it across the bottom, then pull it gently back over the top. Do this repeatedly until you see no more streaks.
It’s so important to be gentle because you want to keep as much air in the mixture as possible. That’s what gives it the cloud-like texture we’re looking for.
I used my favorite Wilton 1M tip to pipe this swirl. Really, it’s so good you could skip the cake all together. Just grab a spoon and go to town. This is a judgment-free zone.
I originally created this recipe for Parade’s Community Table.
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate large bowl, beat heavy whipping cream until stiff.
- Gently fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until you see no more streaks. Serve.
- Store tightly covered in refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- This is a soft frosting meant for covering cakes and topping cupcakes. It is not stiff enough to pipe flowers or intricate decorations.
- This recipe generously frosts 30 cupcakes or frosts and fills a 9 inch cake.