Chewy Chocolate Cookies with Coconut Candy Filling –
If you like Almond Joy or Mounds candy bars you will love these sweet sandwiches. Two chewy chocolate cookies hug a scoop of coconut candy. Almond Joys are some of my favorite treats. Last Halloween I raided my son’s trick or treat pail looking for those blue wrappers. They inspired this recipe. I figured coconut candy is good but coconut candy surrounded with almond scented chocolate cookies is great!
Start with the simple cookies. Preheat the oven to 325 while you sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
Then beat melted butter with brown sugar and white sugar. Melted butter and brown sugar help cookies retain moisture so they turn out perfectly chewy.
Add eggs, vanilla, and almond extract. A splash of almond extract is my secret ingredient in so many cookies. People always ask “what is that awesome flavor?” Now my secret is out but I’m glad to share it with you.
Add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture.
Scoop them into balls that each contain two teaspoons of cookie dough.
Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are set but the centers remain soft. Let them cool on the pan for five minutes. The scent of melted chocolate mingling with just a hint of almond is so tempting.
Remove your chocolate goodies from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
While they cool, mix up your filling. You won’t believe how easy it is! Combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Yep, that’s it!
Place a level tablespoon of candy on half the cookies then top them with the remaining cookies.
They are now ready to eat. I’m already thinking about what candy to turn into a cookie next. You can tell me your candy cookie suggestions in the comment section below the recipe.
- FOR THE COOKIES
- 1 and 1/2 cups (6.75 ounces) flour
- 1/2 cup (2.25 ounces) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (7.75 ounces) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (5.3 ounces) white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- FOR THE FILLING
- 2 cups (10 ounces) sweetened coconut firmly packed
- 3/4 cup (7.5 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 and 1/4 cups (5 ounces) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt butter. Cool.
- In small bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl beat melted butter with brown sugar and white sugar. Add eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Scoop dough onto pan using a two teaspoon scoop. Place two inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are set. Cool on pan for five minutes. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- In medium bowl combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Scoop one level tablespoon of dough onto half of the cooled cookies. Top with remaining cookies.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature for up to three days.
- If you don’t have a two teaspoon cookie scoop you can measure two teaspoons of dough at a time and form into balls.